Review: Mayor of Tiny Town

Some time ago, I visited this cute little cafe along Cantonment Road with my cousin Phyllis. 

Picture credit: Strictly Ours: Food, Fun & Travel
Tucked away in a little shophouse, you might not catch this sign if you were walking inside along the corridor.

When we went in, it was so quiet that I wasn't sure if they were open. Plus, it looked like a very homely setting instead of a very "cafe-y" one.

It kind of reminds me of the "min su" I stayed at when I was in Hualian, like a cosy bed and breakfast. 



With all the right vintage European touches.






Ah this is UK alright. They really drink. Quite a bit. ^.^

Let's look at what they have on their menu:







My partner in crime for the day. We grew up together, spent school holidays at each other's places, bathed together, slept together, even fought (doesn't happen too often thank goodness), had many heart-to-heart talks, and met all the boys we've ever been with. We were even cabin crew together, though it was such a pity that the only time I met her overseas was when she handed over the aircraft to me in Lahore. Lol. Anyways, just know that she is one of the loves of my life. ;)


The hungry duo had quite a bit of food that day. But let's start from the soups - the Cream of Wow Mushroom Soup, as well as the Minestrone.

This. Was. Amazing!
I'm a fan of mushroom soups (actually, anything mushroom), and I have to say, this is one of the best I've had. It doesn't have so much mushroom bits that it's too filling, nor is it watery. Just the right consistency, when paired with those croutons...mmm~~~ 5 stars!

After I've had the mushroom soup, the Minestrone didn't quite work for me. It was pretty good too, but I'm biased towards the mushroom. Maybe it's just me. (But Phyllis liked the Mushroom too, so maybe I'm not that odd.)  >.<

Then came the Warm Avocado Pasta. We ordered it because we were feeling adventurous. Because hey, avocado with pasta is not exactly a common combo.

 Didn't quite do it for me. We both felt it was a little heavy though it was Vegetarian. Other than the "jelat" bit it was quite good, especially if you share it with a few friends.

 Smoked Salmon Waffle.
I thought this was a really balanced meal with the scrambled eggs and vegetables. Protein - check. Carbs - check. Greens - uh huh. Colour - yup.

 What about the taste? It was very well-balanced with the saltiness of the smoked salmon evened out by the scrambled eggs and lettuce. And the waffle adds the sweet to the whole dish. Ladies, don't try to finish this on your own. Share! Then everyone can try everything.


Totally enjoying. 

By the time we were done we were pretty full already, but the tam-jiak in us (might actually just be me) wanted to try their desserts. It's not in the picture above (all my pictures of the menu turned out blur), but here's a screenshot from their website:


Tell me. What caught your attention?

Same!!!!! Okay I assumed it was Mayor's Mischief. Right right right??? Come on! Cotton candy!! With ice cream and mixed nuts and...espresso? You're not curious meh???

You got to let them know when you are ready because only then will the chef make it. Duh! Otherwise the cotton candy will lao-hong and be all shriveled.

Get ready for the biggest surprise of my visit. 
Mums and Dads alert! Do pay attention to what you're going to see next.

 !!!!! So cute!!! What is this cute monstrosity????

 Ooooo...2 brownish balls....
*eh hem...coughs*



All frosty like Christmas! And served in a pretty little tray too~ Aiyoh how could I bear to eat this???
Parents, bring your little ones here for this. They will love you to bits. 

Do you know you can book the whole cafe for your private party/gathering/birthday celebrations/whatever events if you wish? It can seat a comfortable 30 people, or more if you like to kway sio. Lol. But really, they can make arrangements if you have an event you'd like to host there. 

Back to my Mayor's Mischief, which by now was starting to look like a Smurf's hat because I took so long to take pictures:



How do you think we should eat this? By starting with the Cotton Candy? Then when all is done you can get to the good stuff below?

I thought so too. Think again.


You notice that little pot on the tray just beside the Mayor's Mischief? That's Espresso. And nope, it's not for drinking. You are supposed to pour it onto the cotton candy. 

Huh?

Stuff is supposed to happen. Lol. 

I made this little gif to show you my reaction as I was pouring the espresso in. 




#justcosilikethispicture

But seriously, I had no idea pouring coffee does that! Or does pouring anything over cotton candy do that??? 

Whatever it did, it revealed its very yummy-looking contents...mmm~~~

The cotton candy acted as the sugar for the espresso, which I was expecting to be really bitter but turned out well. The ice cream, together with the espresso and nuts, made for a very textured dessert with so much going on inside my mouth, it was amazing. Considering all that we ate before, we almost finished the whole thing. Definitely another item on the share list. It wouldn't be fun to just eat this on your own!

I would go back JUST for this, if not to try even more of their food which has had plenty of positive reviews in 8-Days and a few food blogs. (I am definitely coming back for the All Day Brunch!!!)

Definitely worth a visit, if you are looking for a new place to chill or a quiet place to catch up with your friends, this is a great place to go to. 

Pssst...I heard they are serving breakfast from 8am-11am on weekdays! If your workplace is around the area, pop by for a quick brekkie before heading to the office!


Mayor of Tiny Town is located at:
 61 Cantonment Road
Singapore 089757

Telephone:+65 6222 7089

Comments

Popular Posts